Every now and again, I find myself craving something different for lunch. As appetizing as they started off being, the countless sandwiches and burgers start to become a tiresome routine. Steamed buns are a delicious alternative to the typical sandwich but the process of making the dough can be time consuming. After doing some research, I found an easy, no hassle way to recreate the soft, steamed dough, perfect for filling with any assortment of meats and veggies; Ready made biscuit dough.
Those buttery, flaky pillsbury biscuits we all grew up with turn into warm, chewy buns when you stick them in a steamer. All you do is pop open the container, pull out the dough and flatten each round down into larger circles. Fold them in half and steam them for about 10-12 minutes til they're steamed completely through. Fill them with your choice of meat/veggies and viola! Steamed buns ready to eat.
recipe Steamed buns (as pictured)
-1 package of pre-made biscuit dough (I used Pillsbury Flaky Layers Original)
-Pre-cut slices of steak
-Perilla leaves, washed (Shiso leaves. These can be found in most asian markets. They have a nice, slightly minty taste)
-Radish sprouts, cut and washed (You can find these at most supermarkets these days)
-Cucumber, washed and julienned
-Sweet chili sauce (optional)
-Salt (to taste)
-Pepper (to taste)
1. Set up your steamer.
2. Open biscuit package remove biscuit dough.
3. Flatten each biscuit round into a larger circle and fold in half. Place each folded bun into the steamer allowing 1-2inches of room for each. Depending on the size of your steamer, you may have to steam the buns in small batches. Steam the buns on high for 10-12 min or until the dough is cooked through.
4. In a separate pan, start cooking the steak slices on med-high heat. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. When cooked, take off the heat.
5. Once your buns are steamed and ready, carefully (this will be hot!) take them out of the steamer. Open them at the fold and start placing your filling; perilla leaf first, followed by the steak, sprouts and cucumber.
6. Add a little of the sweet chili sauce on top and enjoy!